Saturday, August 9, 2008

Practicing the Presence!


I read the story of Isaac, Jacob and Joseph, a story of three generations put in a nutshell (Genesis 37). It is a story of perils and success of “migration” into a new land. The land of Canaan was not so friendly towards Isaac, Jacob’s father. And Jacob worked very hard to get the land to somewhat respond to his needs in a more welcoming way, while he sent his roots deep into the soil that he had taken as the land which the Lord has given for him and his descendants. But the third generation, Jacob’s children, have their conflicts, and pain. The reasons for those conflicts may be partly due to Jacob’s folly of favouritism and partly due to the envy of Joseph’s brothers.


One thing I learn from this story is that wherever humans are, the disagreements and conflicting purposes are bound to be there. They are very real. And I need not pretend as if they are not there and everything else is going very smoothly.

Then I go to another story; a story Matthew record poetically in his gospel (Matthew 14:22-33). Here I see more of other human characteristics. It is a unique story of “Jesus walking on the water”. Jesus was quite at ease in walking over the water, perhaps like a Pheasant tailed Jacana, a water bird, or as some of the water bugs walking very swiftly on water without getting wet by water, or drowning into the water. Probably it is that that prompted those who discovered that lizard which walks on the water to be named as Jesus lizard!

In that story when Jesus summoned Peter to walk on the water, he walked initially but began to drown when Peter got “lost in him-self”!

I very consciously use that phrase-“lost in him-self”! Rather he should have got “lost in the Master” who summoned him to walk. In fact in most mystical religious traditions the goal of human life is the “human soul” becoming part and parcel of that greater soul, God. I, instead of becoming part and parcel of me, must get merged into God like a raindrop becoming part of the ocean, or as a river that returns to the ocean, its own beginning!

Peter, in that mystical lesson, was not quite at ease like Jesus while walking on water. Peter started sinking when his vision was turned from the Master to the storm! I realize that I must note this subtle lesson of the sacred scriptures in fixing my focus on the Master something that Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph naturally practiced throughout their life of turbulence. Focusing my vision on God enhances my “ease” to walk in this world, which is not just “a bed of roses”, but also full of thorns!

I recognize that it will be possible for me to say boldly, like the psalmist, “even though I walk through the valley of death I fear no evil”, when I can also say: “for you are with me” (Psalm 23:4); God with me!

This, I realize, comes not merely from a cognitive or intellectual knowing but a stronger feeling of the presence of God that has to become part and parcel of my life in this increasing mechanized and consumer world. I should somehow recapture this “invisible aspect” in my life. It is this that kept Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph alive and bold in a hostile land in which they were immigrants!

I am, personally, also as a somewhat newer immigrant to Canada, this so-called “land of opportunity”, beginning to realize the value and truth of this. In fact, throughout the history of the Christendom “practicing the presence” of God was one of very fundamental spiritual exercises. It is very easy for me to slip into becoming part of a “religious community” that is not constantly conscious of this “presence of God”. And when this happens I, as a member of the religious community will loose the power and boldness that I see in the early Church of the Acts of the Apostles.

The psalmist’s injunction, “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually” (Psalm 105:4), is then a reminder to me. I may have to continually keep reading that phrase: “seek God’s presence continually”. When I consciously and continuously practice the presence of God a moment would come when I will “feel and realize” that there is no escape from this presence. Elsewhere, the psalmist says: “You (referring to God) hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me” (Psalm 139:5). Or a little later in the same Psalm, “Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?” (Psalm 139:7).

However, I must remember that this “presence”, or feeling the “presence” is not to manipulate God, or to practice magic to enhance my ever-expanding “greedy needs”. Sacred Scriptures has no space for this. Instead Jesus, my Master, spoke of the cross! Presence for suffering, and suffering for others sake! In all this “the presence of God” takes me out of “my self”! “Unless the corn dies” is the metaphor popular with Jesus.

When Peter was sinking he called upon Jesus to save him, literally, prevent him from drowning. And Jesus gave his hand immediately and caught him! Paul, about whom I have mixed feelings, once said: “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Romans 10:13). But just two verses above he wrote: “No one who believes in him will be put to shame” (Romans 10:11). I know that Paul was firmly grounded on this truth. He knew that “God” Jesus revealed, “God” who was in Christ Jesus, is “God” totally dependable. And in this “God” there is no distinction of “colour, class, or creed”; this, for me, is something that is not only relevant but also very, very urgent. So Paul that man from Tarsus wrote: “For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on him” (Romans 10:12).

I clearly note the phrase “no distinction” and the word “all” repeated several times in that verse. Someone once said: “God is colour blind”. To this I may add: “God is authentically ultra liberal”.

With this Paul also reminds me of my mission, the purpose of my life in this world. Paul actually raises a series of serious questions to those who call themselves Christians, including my self: “But how are they (now this “they” refers to the people in the world I live) to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? …” (Romans 10”14).


The presence of God is not for me, alone, to take comfort for my self and enjoy. It is for me to share. It is for me to proclaim with my words and more with my deeds. But in that, for sure, there is no space for coaxing or proselytizing! It is then, and perhaps then only, the presence of God becomes really “alive” in this world, and becomes relevant to my thought and living. I believe that the spirit of God is also in me, persuading me to believe in the presence of God, calling me and inspiring me to perform heroic acts of compassion and transform this world with hatred, competitions, and conflicts into that heaven, the footstool of God.

No comments: