Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pondering my Path!


I am in the latter part of my middle age! I realize I have the inclination to do what I did in the latter part of my teen – walking and wandering in the wilderness.

My walking trail, this morning, as I had been doing since the beginning of this summer, is the east of Cummings Lake in Fairview, Alberta. On the west of the lake is the well-driven road to Hines Creek and beyond into the Beautiful British Columbia. My work takes me frequently on that road. My leisure, however, directs me in the opposite.

This morning, as usual, again I secretly hoped I would encounter a black bear to make my day. Perhaps my hope was not strong enough that to happen. If it were, I would have carried my Canon PC 1130!

My preference to the backcountry has always remained steady. Now perhaps it is at the peak. This is perhaps strengthened by my sexual dysfunction, probably created by my diabetes with that additional catalyst, my inclination to becoming a hermit, at least in heart!

Not that I have acquired all the intellectual skills and physical muscles to promote my preference. I have tried in the past to learn more of natural life, exploring bird life, animal life, and wild flowers. I have also equipped myself with expensive books, telephoto lens and binoculars and so on. None of these have enabled me to see a black bear in this region.

But I did see this morning, for the first time, a newly born fawn, perhaps, born early this morning or last night. She was beautiful with her spots. The doe that looked very well fed left the fawn and started moving towards better security from an intruder. And the young one appeared confused and perhaps wondered why the mother in this desert has deserted her.

I am, I realize, is not in 60’s of the last century. On those days I would have walked towards that new beauty to make her my own no matter whether there was a road, or not! Since I will soon be 60, I decided to leave the fawn to find her mother and the doe to fend for her fawn while I retraced my path to my computer that is ready to listen to my adventure with hope for nothing.

No comments: